Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Tragedy in the Making

The vote came in. Unanimous. Demolition. No explanation.


Read the following article. I know I'm a few days behind getting my thoughts out.


How can Pittsburgh allow such an iconic building that has been a memorable asset to the community be fated for a wrecking ball without so much as a bat of an eyelash? I know the arguments have been going on for years - ever since the plans for Consol Energy Center was planned and set in motion. Still, it seems the politicians and stakeholders have had their minds set for a while and aren't willing to listen to other opinions. Why? It's just good business.

If everything goes through as currently planned and the building is demolished to make way for a surface parking lot, that is a slap in the face for Pittsburgh. I know you need the parking but there are other ways to manage that other than sacrificing an icon so you can park your SUV.

I'm not saying that architects are always right, or that people should always take our opinions and put them into action all the time, but seriously now this is a time to pay attention and take note. The public may call the building ugly; I argue that it's uniqueness makes it beautiful amongst the many glass skyscrapers.

The public may be split on the issue as well, but I feel that just the fact that there is such a heavily debated argument shows just how important the building is and having a vote last less than a minute is absurd.

The new arena has more seating, which means more people can enjoy the Penguins games (read into this...more money in ticket sales), but what makes this new arena special? Architecturally I could walk by that building a thousand times and never think that something special like a professional hockey game or a concert was going to go on in there. It looks like a home depot with an American Eagle main entrance. I would almost think I could go shopping for shoes and tile backsplash for my kitchen in there and would be sadly disappointed.

When I first came to Pittsburgh I heard people talk about the Igloo, the Mellon Arena. I thought where is this elusive building? One simple bus ride (not intentionally looking for it) and I knew what all the hype was about. That's how unique the building is. How much of a landmark it is. If someone said "Go to the Consol Center" you would be hard pressed to find it with such ease. The new arena is really not an upgrade.

I just don't get it Pittsburgh. I really think this will be something that the city will regret, and honestly I had considered staying in Pittsburgh after graduation but if the city can't recognize and appreciate something so utterly Pittsburgh-ish then I don't think I want to stay in a place that is having such an identity crisis that it would sacrifice something so important for something so mundane.

More thoughts to come when I'm not sleep deprived and word vomiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment